Thursday, June 17, 2010

Creating my ideal body - connecting through yoga

I had first learned yoga as a little kid when my mom and grandparents started practicing it, but I hadn't been doing it as a workout for years and years.  I tried using the cardio equipment and walking, but my shoes made my feet hurt.  I tried swimming, but I'm an indifferent swimmer and never really felt like I worked hard.

So I went back to a beginner's yoga class.  Feeling really fat in my tight yoga clothes.  Feeling really unsure of my balance, my flexibility, my knowledge.   I was really uncomfortable going to class in general.  My practice had come from TV, videos, and books.  I had never taken a class.

But soon, I was reminded what an individual practice yoga is.  I tapped off my uncomfortableness and I started feeling more connected to my breath and I got stronger and more flexible.  Because I felt so much better and I could feel the progress it made it easier to continue.   

Yoga is very much a journey and the only competition is with yourself.  And yet, this class was in an aerobics atmosphere.  It was quite difficult to not look around the room and contrast and compare.  I found that the times when I hurt myself, it was because I was trying to prove how good I was.  Trying to do better than someone else, or trying to keep up.

Ego can definitely cause pain when practicing yoga.  I learned the hard way several times that it's better to move slowly, breathe, and accept exactly where I was rather than push too hard and force it.

Others have already written extensively about the benefits of yoga, if you haven't heard me rave about yoga over and over already, go read all about it.   lol  I'll just say that yoga is some of the best exercise that ANYONE can do, regardless of age, ability, flexibility, or strength.  If you can breathe, you can do yoga.  All you need is some basic information and instruction and you can do it easily.

My yoga practice continues to shape and sculpt my body.  In August, when I started practicing yoga nearly every day, I was wearing a size 24.  Now I wear a 14.  I am stronger and more flexible than I have ever been and so much more comfortable in my own skin.  

In the beginning, it took effort to go to class.  I think it was about January that I experienced a shift and feel motivated to practice yoga.  It's no longer about willpower.  I never think, "Oh god, I have to go exercise again!"  I tend to think, "Oh goody!  I get to go do yoga!  I'll feel so much better when I'm done."  

And I'm honestly excited about the next time I get to practice and work my body hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment